Saturday, April 14, 2012

First trip to L&D

I made my first trip to labor and delivery last night (I never even did that with my previous 2 pregnancies!). Only to find out that the horribly uncomfortable/ sometimes painful contractions I've been having off and on for the last week are just another part of this pregnancy. After holding out from going to the hospital all week long (because could you imagine dragging a 2 and 5 year old out of bed on a school night and spending 2+ hours at the hospital?) I finally decided to go last night. I wasn't in horrible pain but I was extremely uncomfortable and wanted to know what was going on with my baby.


We got to the hospital and they hooked me up to some monitors... baby's heart rate was perfect (she's getting more and more active and was doing somersaults in there last night), the contractions weren't showing up as anything more then an "irritable uterus," and my blood pressure was higher then usual. Towards the end of my pregnancies I tend to swell up quite a bit but have never had gestational diabetes or pre-e. The nurse last night seemed to be pretty concerned with my bp, and had me drink some water and lay on my left side for a while until it went back down to normal. Then I got sent home with a gigantic jug that I have to pee in for the next 24 hours so I can take it to my dr Monday morning for some more tests. Yay.

I also found out last night that I am still just a fingertip dilated (like I was at my 30 week check up) so these contractions aren't even doing anything. I can only imagine what they'll feel like when I go into labor. Basically the nurse said I just need to go home and relax more, and drink LOTS more water.

So I'm going to start doing this:
(found this on Pinterest)

Today I plan on going to Target to make my baby registry (exciting!!!) and look for nursing bras. Then I'm meeting my husband for lunch :) It's going to be a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment